Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Gas bill savings

Believe it or not, we have been saving a significant amount on our gas heat bill this winter compared to last winter (at the maintenance shop).  How is that possible, with near record lows for the last 2 months?  If you remember last winter, the Grounds staff installed an adequate ceiling in our shop and added insulation.


Compared to past years, we are saving around $500 a month on our heat bill during the winter months.  When we did the project last winter, I stated in my posts that these types of projects would be worth the cost because of future energy savings.  One comment I heard was "That's good and all, but how long is the payback period and is it worth the time and expense?"  The payback period was 1 year.  I can't wait to see the low heating bills on a "normal" winter.

See my "Rainy day project" post from November 2012 under the Maintenance Building label.