This brief cold spell gave us an opportunity to remove a few trees this past week. We create a list of potential removals in the fall and if the ground firms up enough over the winter, we go ahead with the removals. While we did not get everything down that was on our list, we did get some of the less desirable / failing trees off the course, the remainder of the list will be saved for next winter.
One tree that received approval recently was a Spruce to the right of the 2nd green. This tree was not only encroaching into the green complex (covering up a portion of the right bunker), it was also causing damage to the cart path beneath it. We will be re-paving this path in the spring, it therefore made sense for us to remove the tree at this time.
After a few tree removals earlier this week, we brought in a stump grinder yesterday while the ground was still firm. This morning before the snow hit, we filled all our stump holes with soil. Because of the tree work this week, stick clean-up went slower than anticipated. While we had a few bodies on it all week, we still have some ground to cover.
One of our major projects of the winter is near completion - equipment maintenance. We have a few more regular maintenance items to scratch off, then we can spend some time on fabricating items that will make our equipment safer and more efficient.