Monday, February 11, 2013

Equipment repairs

In our fleet of equipment we have 3 large utility carts.  These are larger carts that haul soil, sod and sticks.  This past fall, all 3 were down at the same time.  One was repaired fairly easily, one was sold off and the other was just fixed this past week.  The cart we recently repaired had a blown head on the engine.  We got pricing for a new engine on this cart, estimates came in at $8,000.  After taking the engine apart, we were able to diagnose the exact cause of our problems and was able to locate a used engine head in Texas.  We replaced the head and was able to fix the engine for $850.

The old engine head.

Installing the new head.

This is the cart with the engine problems.  It is our newest utility cart in our fleet.  If all goes to plan, we will be replacing one of the older carts this year.