Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Tissue testing

About once a month, I will take a sample of the grass clippings from the greens and send them to a laboratory to be tested.  What they are testing is the concentration of nutrients within the clippings, things like nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium and calcium.  I do this for two reasons, 1 - to make sure the products that I am using are being taken up by the plant and the money that is spent on fertilizers is spent efficiently and 2 - I want to know if certain products should be added or removed from our application schedule.  I don't want to spend money on a product that is not needed, or more importantly, if the turf is deficient in a nutrient, I want to make sure we replenish its supply.


Bag of grass clippings from the greens mower.  This will be sent to a laboratory for testing.